Mr. Long Yunsong – Jiang Nengjie
$3.99 – $199.00
Kuomintang (KMT) veteran Long Yunsong participated in the Sino-Japanese war by glory, but he is sick and experiences injustice in old age. Can he really be recognized by the state before he dies?
Synopsis of Mr. Long Yunsong
Long Yunsong is a veteran of the KMT and an ordinary Chinese expeditionary force. He has been living in silence and unwilling to talk about his heroic past. As an octogenarian, he looks back on his life in front of the video camera. He has joined the army, fought in the north and the south. His ex-wife has remarried. He has fought in the Songshan Battle, and received the Japanese surrender, etc.
However, the hero of the past is sick and lonely in old age, without anything to rely on. He never understands why he has become a counterrevolutionary and army riffraff when he had fought the Japanese. He still wants to be recognized by the state in his later years. In the end, will his wish really come true before he dies?
Mr. Long Yunsong is one of the series of The Anti-Japanese War Veterans.
Read our blog post to see endorsement and reviews about issues reflected by this film from local audience.
Awards & Film Festivals
1. Nomination, 2015 China Academy Awards of Documentary Film
2. Nomination of Best Documentary Feature, 2015 Phoenix Video Documentary Award
3. Winner of Best Documentary Short Film, 2016 Jimei Shuangqi Youth Film Festival
“It’s a great documentary with great subject. The director is good at telling stories and capturing details.”
Wu Liu, Douban reviewer
“It’s a very rare work, showing the life and twists of an ordinary person in the current of history.”
Zhu Zai Fei, Douban reviewer
Reasons for Recommendation
1. This documentary has the rating of 8.1 on Douban.
2. It shows the plight of the KMT veterans after the Sino-Japanese War through the way of seeing the big picture represented by Long Yunsong.
3. The film offers a historical perspective different from the mainstream in China to review historical events.
1. Prospect Magazine: Prospect Magazine
2. Related blog posts
At Rest by Kevin MacLeod
Long Road Ahead B by Kevin MacLeod
You may also like…
- The Sichuan Army Veteran Peng Guochen – Jiang Nengjie
- $3.49 – $169.00