The Opaque God – Gu Tao
$1.99 – $149.00
The aged Guan Kouni is the last Shaman of Oroqen. She hopes to find a Shaman heir in her lifetime. However, today’s young people no longer believe in the God.
Synopsis of The Opaque God
The aged Guan Kouni is the last Shaman of Oroqen. She hopes to find a Shaman heir in her lifetime. On the 1st or 15th day of the lunar calendar, Guan Kouni would place a tribute on the spirit tablet and worship the God in a traditional way.
Due to the government, she has not been a Shaman since liberation. Because of the government as well, she is miraculously given a ceremony to pass down her Shaman identity. Guan Kouni hopes to find a Shaman to inherit this ancient religious culture in her life time. However, today’s youth have lost their faith in the God, which is the biggest obstacle for Guan to find a successor.
She puts the target on her daughter Juhua and son Jurong……What will happen to her in her twilight years?
Awards & Film Festivals
1. Official Selection, 2011 Beijing Independent Film Festival
2. Official Selection, 2011 Chongqing Independent Film and Video Festival
“Thanks to director Gu for preserving such a valuable image for the Shaman. It shows us how we put God aside to amuse ourselves.”
Liu Xiao Yang, Douban reviewer
“A documentary full of mysteries.”
Tokyo Times Film
Reasons for Recommendation
1. The Opaque God gives you a glimpse into the mysterious Shaman culture.
2. The documentary shows the cultural changes of Oroqen ethnic group.
3. There is a simple sense of desolation and sadness throughout the film, and you can find unspoken historical scars.
1. Related blog posts